How To Keep Your Hot Tub Filter Clean
Water quality is important. The best way to guarantee clean water and increase the life of your hot tub is by cleaning its filters on a regular basis. It’s also vital that you use the hot tub filter cleaner recommended for your spa model. Most manufacturers advise you to change your hot tub filter once a year, so be sure you are following these guidelines.
Your hot tub filter serves as a trap for oil, debris, and other particles in its folds. This, in turn, creates clean water for soaking. If a cartridge becomes damaged, bent or ripped, it’s important to replace the unit right away. Operating your spa with dirty or worn filters is not only hazardous to your health but can also harm your tub. Sometimes, operating your hot tub with dirty filters could void the warranty. When using your tub, there are several tips you should remember to lessen the load when the time to clean your filter comes.
Prevention is the first important step. Before you get into your spa, rinse off in the shower. This gives you the chance to remove any lotion, body oil, or dirt from the day before. You will also want to invest in a cover. If your hot tub is covered, debris is less likely to make its way into the waters. A cleaning schedule can also save your spa! By staying on a cleaning schedule with your filter, you can avoid disasters with your filtration system such as clogging.
Another common mistake is using cleaning products that are not made for your spa. This can cause irreversible damage.
If you follow these five tips, you can ensure that your filter runs properly, and your water stays clean.
- High Pressure Wash: once a month use high pressure water to clean out your filter.
- Return Properly: when done cleaning, make sure your filter is inserted correctly and water is flowing through 100% of the filter.
- Chemistry: filters do a majority of the work, but they do not kill bacteria. It’s important to shock your spa after every soak to prevent salt and chlorine lines.
- Rinse After Soak: After your filter has been soaked in cleaning solution, run water over the filter to remove solution buildup before replacing.
- Two is Better than One: Always have an extra filter on deck! Just in case!
Of course, we are always here to help you with hot tub filter cleaning tips and tricks. Stop by one of our stores or call us today for more information!